Compress JPEG & PNG images
Speed up your website. Optimize your JPEG and PNG images automatically with TinyPNG.
Make your website faster by compressing your JPEG and PNG images. This plugin automatically optimizes your images by integrating with the popular image compression services TinyJPG and TinyPNG.
- Automatically compress new images.
- Easy bulk compression of your existing media library.
- Compress individual images already in your media library.
- Multisite support with a single API key.
- Color profiles are translated to the standard RGB color space.
- See your usage directly from the media settings and during bulk compression.
- Select which thumbnail sizes of an image may be compressed.
- Converts from CMYK to RGB to save more space and maximize compatibility.
- Automatic detection of images that can be recompressed.
- No file size limit.
How does it work?
After you upload an image to your WordPress site, each resized image is uploaded to the TinyJPG or TinyPNG service. Your image is analyzed to apply the best possible compression. Based on the content of your image an optimal strategy is chosen. The result is sent back to your WordPress site and will replace the original image with one smaller in size. On average JPEG images are compressed by 40-60% and PNG images by 50-80% without visible loss in quality. Your website will load faster for your visitors, and you’ll save storage space and bandwidth!
Install this plugin and obtain your free API key from https://tinypng.com/developers. The first 500 compressions per month are completely free, so roughly 100 images can be uploaded to WordPress for free, no strings attached! You can also change which of the generated thumbnail sizes should be compressed, because each one of them counts as a compression. And if you’re a heavy user, you can compress more than 500 images per month for a small additional fee per image.
The API key can optionally be configured in wp-config.php. This removes the need to set a key on each site individually in your multisite network.
Got questions or feedback? Let us know! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Twitter @tinypng.
Want to contribute? Checkout our GitHub page.